There are different steps to measure for a new interior door dependant on whether you have an empty door frame or you are replacing an existing, well fitted door. Watch our handy video tutorial to see step by step instructions.
In order to measure a door you will need a tape measure and pencil and paper.
Measuring an existing door within the frame
If you have a well fitted door that you want to replace it is possible to measure the exisitng door in a easy steps;
1) Measure the width of the door in three places at the top, middle and bottom (if the existing door has glazing be sure to measure on the flat non glazed surface). Record the largest of the three measurements.
2) Measure the height of the door in two place and again record the largest measurement.
3) Finally open the door and measure the depth and record.
Measuring within an empty frame
1) Measure the width of the door in three places at the top, middle and bottom and record the largest of the three measurements.
2) Measure the height in two places and record the largest measurement. Consider whether there is a threshold strip in place.
3) Measure the depth from the edge of the frame to the door stop.
Interupting door measurements
Now you have those measurements it is important to remember they may not directly match up to our standard size doors. These doors are made with trim allowances in order to make your new door fit to the correct size required. On a standard door there is 4mm allowance on the width and a 6mm on the bottom on the door.
Watch our handy video tutorial to see step by step instructions.